Wednesday, 21 September 2011

...cooking things I've Pinned (Soup, cookies and a tart)

So, I'm not doing very well with this whole regular feature thing, am I? Realistically, If I manage to blog once a week I am doing great. Expecting to have a feature every week is maybe pushing it, so, I'm going to aim for once every two weeks, and hope I manage a wee bit of blogging in between. Ok?

Ok.

However, I have actually cooked three Pinned things over the last three weeks, and they have been rather autumnal, so I'm going to share them.

Chicken and Coconut Curry Soup
(adapted from Cooking for Seven)





olive oil
2tsps coriander seeds
2 pinches red chilli flakes
3 chicken thighs, bones removed, cut into chunks
1/2 a red onion, grated
1green pepper, grated
2 carrots, grated
2 spring onion, chopped
2pints chicken stock
400ml tin coconut milk(full fat)


  • add oil, onions and spices to soup pot, and heat
  • add chicken and fry till onions are soft and coriander seeds have popped
  • add other veg, stir in and fry
  • add stock and coconut milk, bring to the boil and simmer for 20 mins
I left out the flaked coconut so that the soup stayed quite spicy, and added spring onions and carrots as I felt it needed a bit more veg. It disappeared pretty quickly, and is just the thing on a very cold and very wet day.


Rustic Apple and Blackberry Tart

(an amalgamation of these recipes on Tea & Cookies)


...it was too dark to take a pic at night, so we've eaten half by this point
1 sheet ready roll shortcrust pastry (I can make shortcrust, but we had this in the fridge. If you want to make it, make enough for a 9 inch flan tin)
3 large apples, cored and chopped into 1inch chunks (ish)
200g blackberries
1/4 cup apple juice.
3tbsp brown caster sugar
1tsp cinnamon

butter for greasing

  • put apples into a pan with apple juice, 2/3 of sugar and of cinnamon
  • bring to boil and cook till apples are soft - about 5 mins 
  • drain (set juices aside, they are nice on ice cream)
  • grease whatever dish you are making your tart in
  • drop in pastry sheet,leaving even amounts of pastry around each edge
  • spoon apples into middle, and add blackberries and a wee sprinkle of sugar (if your dish doesn't have sides, you want about 2 inches of pasty left at the sides
  • fold pastry edges over, making folds and pleats as you go
  • brush with a little butter, and sprinkle on remaining sugar and cinnamon.
  • bake for 35-50 mins, till crust is golden and fruits a bit bubbly.
I should have remembered to put a bit of cornflour in before the fruit to soak up pastry, but I didn't. The result was one side of the base being a wee bit soggy, and some juice escaping. To be fair, it didn't take away from the taste and texture much. This is lovely and fruity and crumbly, but doesn't feel terrible to eat because it's full of fruit. I wanted to eat this too much to faff about with additions, but custard or vanilla ice cream, or even a wee swizz of cream would be lovely.

Chocolate-Fudge-Spiced Cookies
(adapted from the Travellers' Lunchbox)


200g self-raising flour
2 medium eggs
1/2tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
130g butter in chunks
1.5tbsp vegetable oil
100g choc chips
100g fudge chunks (about choc chip sized)
1.5tsp cinnamon

  • Put dry ingedients (except choc chips and fudge) in a big mixing bowl and stir well
  • melt butter and stir in oil, then combine with dry ingredients
  • add eggs and combine again
  • lastly, add in your chunks
  • you should have a stightly sticky dough
  • form dough into golf ball sized balls, and place on baking sheet/clingfilmed board
  • freeze for at least half an hour till the solidify
  • when ready to bake, pre-heat oven to 180c
  • place on greaseproof paper on a baking tray , at intervals of at least 2inchs
  • bake for 12-14 mins, till outside edges are golden and middle is not quite firm
  • allow to cool a little, then transfer to rack to finish
I've made the originals of these before, but the addition of fudge and cinnamon is lovely in these. there are surprise gooey bits, and there's just enough spice to give them warmth. The balls can be kept frozen for when you need an emergency snack, and also to stop you eating a whole batch. There are five in our freezer at the moment.


I suppose, at least if I am failing at one of my 30, this could technically be cooking one new thing per week, yes?

16 comments:

jules said...

mmm, that apple & blackcurrant tart looks scrummy!

Jules
p.s. I had to close "a bit of jules" due to personal reasons, but I have a subscription-only blog now! :)

Siobhan said...

They look lovely. I want to eat them all.

Evil Pixie said...

Very cool recipes! I just may have to try a couple of them myself... Or at least get Naughty Pixie to try them (since I can't cook). :)

amy b.s. said...

i am so trying that soup!

Elizabeth@rosalilium said...

mmmmm....I want to bake cookies now.

islabell said...

damn girl, that tart looked gooooood.
I will get on getting you that flap jack recipy. It was made by my lovely friend Brice, he makes them and has one with coffee every morning. There are dried cherrys and almonds and all kinds of good things in there
x

Hazel said...

Mmmmmmm do you have any apple & blackberry tart left? I would love some of that, another recipe I may try :)

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Yum, this post has more recipes in it than I have tried in like 2 months!! That said, I have not been home much so haven't had the chance to cook.

That soup looks ace. I want some. I definitely am starring this to make the first weekend I am home and have time to cook!!

The Sentimental Suitcase said...

I love "Cooking things I've pinned" reminds me I gotta get in there and cook all the things I've got pinned too! And also to stop making the same thing over and over again. For us that seems to be soup and cheese.
Thanks Lisa-Marie!

P said...

The cookies look delish!

whatislaate said...

mmmm cookies, they sound great, i might try a gluten free version with chopped up fingers of fudge...

whatislaate said...

mmmm cookies, they sound great, i might try a gluten free version with chopped up fingers of fudge...

grace said...

well, you can keep your soup (curry isn't nice to me), but i'll make up for it in tart and cinnamon-y cookies!

Spare Thoughts said...

Nom nom nom that all looks amazing.

Conny's Cottage said...

Jammie,


thats great

Gaynor {Our Day by Design} said...

You are making want to bake some stuff altho no time just now! They all look lovely!