|Well begun is half done...|
When I posted about the beginning of our stair makeover, I really thought we'd be finished by now. Remember the plan to strip and varnish the stairs and paint the uprights? Oh how optimistic that was. The week after, I went down to Paisley on the Friday and started the arduous and ultimately pointless task of stripping the old paint from the stairs. The paint turned out to be thicker than we thought, which meant the sander melted it rather than removing it, so I moved onto plan B, paint stripper. Rather than the paint stripper removing the paint, it mixed with it and became a bit tar like. And then I realised the bottom layer was more than likely lead paint(our flat is about 80 years old, I suspect the bottom layer of paint is too) and I shouldn't really be pouring chemicals on it. Realising this four steps in was a bit of a worrying moment!
|The stairs after 4 hours of me attempting to strip them -|
hopefully you can see why I gave up.
At this point, we decided it was going to take a hundred years to remove all the paint, so two weeks later (this weekend) we bit the bullet, sanded the stairs, removed the square metre of cork tile topper board nailed atop the landing floorboards (I have no idea why they didn't put them on the actual floorboards, we keep expecting to find a dead person or something), hammered in the millions of nails we couldn't remove, and painted the stairs grey(Dave painted them. I wasn't allowed. I have a tendancy to spill things).
|Cork glued to board nailed to floorboards. I don't understand!|
|Dave doing some painting|
For the moment, the uprights are grey too. They have A LOT of bent nails hammered in as far as possible, and it would take a few more coats of paint to even vaguely even the surface up. It's a bit unsightly at the moment. Originally, we were going to paint them yellow, and I was going to stencil a pattern of some sort on, but it seems we night have to use something a bit sturdier. We have considered wallpaper, but anything I think nice enough is well out of our price range(the most we can spend on this is about £30, and also, we'll only need about two metres, it just seems like a waste). I have been reading up on wallpapering with fabric, and I think starching thick fabric and then varnishing over it might be the trick as it might smooth over where bumps are.
|HURRAH! Grey floorboards! |
(excuse the mess at the bottom, and paint on the walls)
I thought stripping the stairs would be fine though, so we'll see! Next task is to give the walls a new coat of white and find something for the uprights.