So, I have the lurgy again. Everyone I know seems to have some stage of this cold (feel free to moan in the comments if you have it too). Also, after one sunny and relatively warm day yesterday, it's cold and windy again. Cold weather and the cold bring out a need to make lovely, cheering things in me, and there aren't many things more comforting than cake. My friend May is coming for tea and chat this afternoon too, and if I have time to bake, I'd much rather give someone my own (generally slightly wonky) cake.
When I went to the shop to get the ingredients, I had a list for, and was intent on making Smitten Kitchen's Raspberry Buttermilk Cake, but our local Co-op didn't have raspberries or buttermilk, so I substituted similarly textured ingredients, and ended up with this....
Blueberry and Lemon Cake
|Does everyone else see a Pacman?|
180g self raising flour (added 50g to balance extra eggs)
60g butter, melted
140g caster sugar
3tbsp (heaped) lemon curd
3 large eggs (for volume)
120ml double cream (sort of buttermilk-ish, no?)
25g caster sugar for sprinkling
1tbsp lemon curd
1tsp icing sugar
Now, this is where you can use Deb's proper method, or you can use my 'chuck it in and hope for the best because standing up is too much effort' method. Here is mine...
- Preheat oven to 160fan/180C
- put all ingredients (except blueberries and sprinkling sugar) in a big bowl
- whisk with a hand mixer till you have a smooth batter. It should puff up slightly as air goes in.
- Grease and line 9" cake tin if required(mine is silicone)
- pour in batter and spread evenly.
- sprinkle blueberries over
- sprinkle with sugar
- bake for 25 mins
- sit down, have tea, watch daytime TV, read blogs
- allow to cool 10 mins, then turn out.
- when cool, spread top thinly with lemon curd, and dust with icing sugar
I figure it has fruit in, so is somewhat healthy, and if we are supposed to feed our colds, why not feed them tasty good cake? Also, lemon and blueberry is a really good combination! Yum!