Tuesday, 2 March 2010

...a week in pictures - week 6, and a soup recipe!


It's late again, but here is my week in pictures...


Monday

Last week began with a gloriously sunny day. I was at work, and the kids and I did a 6 mile round trip walk(they were pushed for the second stage obviously, and the littlest was pushed the whole way in the pram), with a scones and milk stop half way. I took the picture from the bus, I love the diagonal line of the hill and the contrast of it's colour to the blue, blue sky.


Tuesday

I was off work on Tuesday, and spent the morning tidying (which I don't mind doing because the shiny, sparkly result is worth it) before having the girls over for food. I added stuff to my wee hanging area for post cards, the kids art work etc. I've now decided I want to get a big, relatively ornate gold frame and pin strands of ribbon into it for hanging these things. It holds pictures and letters from and of my kiddies, and notes, cards and postcards from friends.


Wednesday


This was a not much of anything day for me. I had the lurgy, so I was lying low. I did make some yummy, comforting lentil soup though, which we had with potato wedges, and as Dave is pointing out in the picture, some hot chilli sauce. He was give the sauce by the RA he shares his office with, who is Chinese. He loves it more than all the other condiments! Have a recipe!

Creamy Carrot and Lentil Soup.

1tbsp olive oil
2 small onions, diced
3 large carrots, diced
2 cloves of garlic, squished and chopped
1 large leek, diced
2 cups red lentils
2 pinches chilli flakes
1/4tsp hot chilli powder
1 and 1/2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
1tsp peppercorns
3tbsp flour
5 pints stock (mine was beef, feel free to use what you have)
150ml single cream(half fat would do the same job i imagine)

  • heat oil in soup pot
  • add chopped veg and garlic
  • cook till veg are soft, stirring
  • add all other ingredients(except flour, stock and cream)
  • stir well
  • add stock and simmer for 30 mins
  • add cream and stir well
  • whizz in blender till smooth (needs to be whizzed so that carrot flavour permeates)

Thursday

Not feeling much better, I headed to work on Thursday. It was pretty rainy in Dundee, but I can deal with rain. I got half way to work though, and there were 3ft of snow at some points in the journey. Quite the contrast to the sunny picture on Monday! The above photo is the lane I walk along to get to work. As you can imagine, with my lurgy, we stayed inside. There was lots of book reading, some playing and some making of yummy food!


Friday

I was working again, and it was still snowy! In the evening, we had dinner with a friend and colleague of Dave's, her husband and their new tiny baby. They are Spanish and Indian, and cooked North Indian food, so I'm sure you can imagine my joy! The above picture is the view from my bus stop on the way home, I found it so stark, like all the colour had been taken out of the world. Oh, also, the insurance people phoned to say that they have decided our claim is valid, and they will be starting the work on Friday! Hurrah!


Saturday

I went to visit my nana. It normal takes two hours to get to her house (a train and a bus),, but what is normally a 45 minute train turned into an epic journey, involving getting on a bus that was doing 4 of the train stops, a bus driver that didn't know the way, and my looking after and ringing the family of a wee old, slightly senile woman who was completely confused. In the evening, Dave has a gig, and I ended up being in the car for two hours with a migraine, so it was sort of a bad and good day. I clearly need to have my eyes tested soon though! The picture is my on the bus entertainment, The Guardian, in all it's Saturday supplimenty glory.


Sunday


A day of not much again. Having gotten home from dropping band members of after the gig at 2am, we slept late, and the drove back to Dundee, as the Paisley flat is not cosy. On the way home, we saw this number plate, and Dave made me take a photo of it to show his parents!

3 comments:

Vonnie said...

Hope you're feeling better pet! Let me know if you want to reschedule xx

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I love your photo posts - so fun to see what you are seeing!! :)

There is nothing better than artwork from a child. I hung some pictures that my Nephew drew on my wall at work and they make me smile every time I look at them!!

grace said...

the carrot soup looks terrific, lisa-marie, and i'm always drenching my food with hot sauce of some kind!
incidentally, i just noticed the list of what you're watching, and i LOVE the big bang theory and how i met your mother. :)