I don't know about anyone else, but for me, cooking is a thing that completely clears my head, so I got home, had a rummage through the fridge/cupboard and without having to buy anything extra, I made stuffed chicken with leek wrappers. It worked pretty well, though it's not the most beautiful looking of foods. Leeks are really really good if you bake them though, the go all soft and sweet and yum! I realise this is my second chicken with leeks recipe in as many weeks, but it tastes different!
Stuffed Chicken with Leek Wrappers and Mustardy Veg
2 large chicken breasts
1 leek, topped and tailed and sliced through the radius, so that the leaves can be peeled off
50g mature cheddar (or your favorite cheese)
100mls tomato puree
100mls + 3tbsp olive oil
2 cloves of garlic,minced or finely chopped
2 baking potatoes (or 4 medium potatoes), halved then sliced to 1cm thick
2 carrots, sliced to 1cm medallions
- preheat oven to 180c
- cut a 'pocket' in each chicken breast so that it can be flattened
- place 25g cheese and half a tbsp mustard in the middle of each
- fold over side till no filling can be seen
- use 2-3 leek leaves to wrap up, leaviing most of the ends underneath
- place in oven dish
- drizzle with 3tbsp olive oil and sprinkle with pepper
- in a a small bowl, mix olive oil, tomato puree and garlic
- add to dish
- put dish in oven, cook for 40 mins
- stir tomato mixture occasionally
- after 10 mins, put potatoes and carrots in a pot and fill with boiling water, making sure water covers veg
- bring to the boil and simmer for 20 mins
- drain veg and add 1tbsp mustard, butter and pepper to tastes to pot.
- stir with a metal spoon, so that mixture is evenly dispensed and potatoes are fluffy and crushed around edges
- after 40 mins, remove chicken from oven. Cut to check it is cooked through
- remove chicken - leeks will be a little burnt around the edges, but it tastes nice!
- place oven dish on the hob, and stir tomato mixture to incorporate olive oil
- serve with chicken and potatoes.
This should have oozy mustardy cheese in the middle, tender chicken and soft, sweet leaks on the outside. Nommed. I am feeling a bit more cheerful now, as I know I can't do anything about the situation, and I've had a nice calm evening. Now, I shall watch America's Next Top Model and eat my ice cream and ginger biscuits!