My freind Pepe was talking about cinnamon rolls one day (we talk about food ALOT), and the idea of making them kind of stuck in my head. Pepe is a veggie, and often bakes with vegan ingredients, so my next plan is to make a vegan version(we often have bands staying over, and the majority of people in the UK punk scene are vegan, so it seems a good plan)! These ones are suitable for vegetarians, so this is kind of step one. I will add in the vegan ingredients when I have tried them. This recipe comes from a Christmas Book I was given a few years ago, but they are good at any time of year!
Brown Sugar & Cinnamon Rolls
Adapted from Ultimate Christmas by Love Food
450g plain (all-purpose)flour, plus extra for dusting
1.5 tbsp salt
30g caster sugar
2 tsp easy blend dried yeast(I used fast acting, it worked fine)
250ml tepid full fat milk (I used just less)
85g muscavado sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon (the recipe says 1.25 tsp, but I used 2 and then sprinkled a bit on the rolls, and it tasted gooood)
1 egg, beaten
- preheat oven to 200c/400f/gas 6
- mix flour,salt, caster sugar and yeast together in large bowl
- stir in milk to form a dough
- turn dough out onto flour surface, knead till smooth and pliable (10 mins ish)
- put in a clean bowl and cover, leave to rise in a warm place for 2 hours(i put mine on top of the cooker so that it got over heat)
- turn out of bowl, knock back, knead briefly, and roll out to a 30x24cm rectangle.
- mix 75g of the muscavado with the cinnamon
- sprinkle over dough evenly, and press into surface
- roll dough up tightly( like a swiss roll)
- cut into 12 even slices
- lay each piece on its side on a baking sheet/peice of parchment sprinkled with flour
- leave, cover with a clean towel in a warm place for 30 mins
- beat egg in cup
- brush the rolls with egg
- sprinkle over remaining muscavado(and cinnamon if you want)
- bake for 12-15 mins until golden 0 watch carefully as they will burn quickly if left too long.
- cool on a wire rack and enjoy!