Sunday, 16 August 2009

... the promised cinnamon roll recipe!

Dave finally brought our camera home from work( I mustn't complain though, his PhD is more important than my blog), and so I can add recipes for the cooking and baking I've been doing!

My freind Pepe was talking about cinnamon rolls one day (we talk about food ALOT), and the idea of making them kind of stuck in my head. Pepe is a veggie, and often bakes with vegan ingredients, so my next plan is to make a vegan version(we often have bands staying over, and the majority of people in the UK punk scene are vegan, so it seems a good plan)! These ones are suitable for vegetarians, so this is kind of step one. I will add in the vegan ingredients when I have tried them. This recipe comes from a Christmas Book I was given a few years ago, but they are good at any time of year!


Brown Sugar & Cinnamon Rolls
Adapted from Ultimate Christmas by Love Food


450g plain (all-purpose)flour, plus extra for dusting
1.5 tbsp salt
30g caster sugar
2 tsp easy blend dried yeast(I used fast acting, it worked fine)
250ml tepid full fat milk (I used just less)
85g muscavado sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon (the recipe says 1.25 tsp, but I used 2 and then sprinkled a bit on the rolls, and it tasted gooood)
1 egg, beaten




dough before rising
  • preheat oven to 200c/400f/gas 6
  • mix flour,salt, caster sugar and yeast together in large bowl
  • stir in milk to form a dough
  • turn dough out onto flour surface, knead till smooth and pliable (10 mins ish)
  • put in a clean bowl and cover, leave to rise in a warm place for 2 hours(i put mine on top of the cooker so that it got over heat)
dough after rising, its like monster dough!

  • turn out of bowl, knock back, knead briefly, and roll out to a 30x24cm rectangle.
  • mix 75g of the muscavado with the cinnamon
  • sprinkle over dough evenly, and press into surface
  • roll dough up tightly( like a swiss roll)
like a swiss roll
  • cut into 12 even slices
  • lay each piece on its side on a baking sheet/peice of parchment sprinkled with flour
  • leave, cover with a clean towel in a warm place for 30 mins

  • beat egg in cup
  • brush the rolls with egg
  • sprinkle over remaining muscavado(and cinnamon if you want)
  • bake for 12-15 mins until golden 0 watch carefully as they will burn quickly if left too long.
  • cool on a wire rack and enjoy!
mmmmmmmmmmm!

I had mine with a cup of tea, my friend Katie drenched hers in honey and loved it. It would be nice with jam too, or broken up with ice cream!

6 comments:

Kyla Roma said...

Very cute! I always roll mine individually and it never goes well, I think you've converted me!

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Oh my gosh, I miss cinnamon rolls. I can't have them since they have gluten in them. :( I should find a gluten free recipe for them - if that is even possible.

They look so so so delicious! My family eats them smothered w/ peanut butter. It's divine. :)

Jessica said...

Those look so good, but I am no good at baking. I'll have to find someone to make them for me now lol, yum!!

Lisa-Marie said...

Lisa, I think if you used gluten free flour with an egg for binding and a little more yeast, your dough would probably be ok. I'm making it my mission now to find out!

Jessica, they are really not hard to do! If i am honest, I am a lazy baker, and most of my stuff turns out ok!

Serena Cowdy said...

Oh my lord. It's 11pm as I write this and I now have ONE BIG CRAVING for those cinnamon rolls. Gah. You are such a talented cook!

Lisa-Marie said...

Serena, next time I make them, I'll post you some!