My gift recipient was Becca, and I made her spiced caramel sauce (basically Nigella's salted caramel sauce, with booze and spices in instead of salt), Black Forest Truffles, and this festive take on a traditional tiffin -Mince Pie Tiffin. I used shortbread to give the sweet pastry flavour and keep a bit of crunch, and mincemeat instead of raisins. Its easy, mostly stirring, and it is ready to go in about three hours. It is also friggin delicious.
for the base
225g good quality milk chocolate
2tsp golden syrup
200g shortbread, crushed
for the topping
100g milk chocolate
2tbsp golden syrup
sprinkles to decorate (optional)
- Line a loaf tin with grease proof paper
- to make the base, put the chocolate, syrup and butter in a pot, heat over a low heat till melted, stirring frequently to combine
- add crushed shortbread
- add mincemeat is 1/2tsp sized blobs
- stir to combine
- tip into loaf tin and spread till the top is even.
- Put in the fridge to chill for two hours
- it will firm up and hold shape, but be a little squidgy (like soft fudge).
- melt the chocolate and syrup for the topping in a pot, and pour over the base, spreading to coat evenly.
- Add sprinkles if you wish
- chill for an hour